BYU Football Game

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Once a California Girl always a California girl?

I spent the entire first 18 years of my life living in the same house in Castro Valley California. Some may say that I needed to get out more, moving offers experience, ect. But let's face it- I was completely fine with it. For the past four years, with the exception of my semester living in Hawaii, I have lived in Provo Utah. When the winter season comes- the snow falls, the temperature drops, and I am surrounded by individuals whose eyes light up watching the snow come down. See, they are pumped for the upcoming snowboarding/skiing season. Usually I just stand there silently with a fake smile on trying to share in their joy. You see, I never grew up with snow, and ever since my family got into a serious car accident because of black ice- my parents hate the snow. So I never grew up going snowboarding or skiing or sledding. It wasn't until I went to Utah that I understood what a "White Christmas" was. Perhaps I was deprived, but I never felt that way. So as I sit here wishing I could go for a run outside, but realizing it is below freezing- I have realized I am not a Utah girl. I love California and pretty sure I always will. So perhaps the label of a "California girl" is correct in this case.

2 comments:

Idaho Sutters said...

You are funny Danielle. Stay warm! I've had snow my whole life and can't say that I love it either. I think that many I know just deal with it because it means water for the summer. You are not alone. So stay warm! I'm thinking of you.

Monica Lawver said...

Me too, Dani! And that's just fine. We're not all meant to live 20 different places, or in the snow. I can't wait to move back home and stay there... Snow with kids is exhausting!